Ah, the good ol’ days. This collection of photos will help remind you of the past when life moved at a different pace and the world was on the edge of new technology. While still clinging to the fifties and sixties, we were creeping closer to the new millennium and the promise of modern advances. Yes, the 1970s was a great time to be alive…just as these photos show.
The Beatles remain one of the greatest singing groups of all time. The four lads from Liverpool laid the groundwork for the boy bands that followed, including New Kids on the Block, Boyz II Men, NSync, Menudo, and One Direction. The screaming teenage girls, the celebrity arm candy, the catchy tunes, the boy hair, and the worldwide tours…the Beatles experienced it all before the next generation of boy bands were even born.
- ’70s Gas was Cheap
- The ’70s Version of the Ice Cream Man
- Merry Christmas from John Lennon and Yoko Ono
- Trendy Girls Channeling Their Inner Charlie’s Angels
- The Village People in June 1979 Showing us how to do the “YMCA”
- The Ultimate Luxury… A Backyard Swimming Pool
- Who Could Forget the Disco Era?
- “V” is for Victory…John Lennon and Yoko Ono (with Attorney Leon Wildes) Won Their Deportation Case
- Slides were Steep and Lacked Side Rails
- Kiss Strutting Their Stuff Down a New York City Street in 1976
- A Mustang and Surfing…True American Originals
- A Tribute to the King of Rock and Roll, Elvis Presley
- Debbie Harry was a Blonde Before She was Blondie, Coney Island in 1976
- Saturday Afternoon was Arcade Time
- The Rolling Stones Performed a Surprise Concert on a Flatbed Truck
- Rear Admiral Alan Bartlett Shepard, the First American in Space
- The Jacksons Perform During a Concert, Circa 1975
- Teen Fashion Never Looked So Good
- Introducing Ken! Barbie Gets a BF
- Women’s Strike for Equality Held Rallies Across the Country on August 26, 1970
’70s Gas was Cheap
It’s true. Gas prices were once that low. In fact, people got upset with the prices crept close to the one dollar mark. During the 1970s, however, two events took place that made Americans rethink their dependency on foreign oil. The first was the 1973 oil crisis during the OPEC oil embargo. During the embargo, oil prices rose from $3 a barrel to $12 a barrel. The second event was the 1979 oil crisis, caused by a reduction in oil output following the Iranian Revolution.